Music has always been part of my life, but my first career was in the technology industry as a consultant and project manager. I helped to open the Experience Music Project – a rock and roll museum in Seattle.
I hold a Bachelor of Music from the University of Western Ontario and a Master of Business Administration degree from McMaster University. I also hold a diploma in Audio Engineering from the University of Washington and I’m a graduate of Hummie Mann’s acclaimed Pacific Northwest Film Scoring Program. My studio, where I compose, write songs, record and mix are located in Vancouver, British Columbia.
Musically, my influences range from classical to jazz, blues to progressive rock, alternative pop/rock to current trends. I have the enviable job of doing daily R&D to find the new sounds and techniques that can inspire my next project.
My studio is a digital multi-track facility built around a number of software tools.
I compose using a variety of live and synthetic sound sources and instruments.
My main instrument is keyboard, but I also sing, play guitar, bass and a variety of orchestral instruments.
“Having worked with Dave on a couple of projects, I can attest to his ability to deal with anything. Different projects require different approaches, and Dave has an innate ability to stretch his talents to meet those demands. He is patient and attentive, taking direction well and bringing great ideas to the table.
He brings such joy and passion to the projects he works on. He is a great collaborator, a great person, and a very talented individual. I can’t wait to work with him again.”
Writer / Director
“I’ve had the good fortune of working with Dave on a few projects, and what he brings to the table is creativity and competence. As a producer Dave can take a simple song idea and transform it into something big. As an mastering engineer, he can make even the best mixes sound better. I look forward to working with Dave again on many projects!”
“Dave is a consummate professional. He knows his craft, is obsessed with detail in the best and most necessary way, and is an absolute pleasure to work with. We’d not only recommend working with him, but Mojave will also hire him again for our next album!”
Lisa and Paul Jarvis
Songwriters & Musicians of MOJAVE
- “Dave Chick is a director’s dream. Not only is he a gifted musician, he understands the nuances of film AND he is great to work with–solves problems quickly, suggests alternatives, and meets deadlines. I highly recommend Dave to score your film.”
CEO, Audacious Aperture
“Dave is very talented and a pleasure to work with. He composed the music and did final mix on my indie feature film. He was very accommodating and was able to give the movie the identity it needed and work within my limited budget. I had a wonderful time working Dave and can’t wait for the next collaboration. Also, this is the most relaxed man I have ever met.”
- “Dave Chick’s feel for composition and performance is always on target.
Whether it’s an abstract piece or some very specific need, his playing always hits the nail on the head. He’s quick and a pleasure to work with and more frequently goes beyond the call of duty to deliver not only what is asked for, but offers many great ideas along the way.”
Multi-instrumentalist, Producer, Engineer
and Mad Scientist
- “Dave has the ability to share, interpret and enhance your vision with his music. If you have a good film, Dave will make it great.
His combination of incredible musical talent and perfect sense of timing create end products that are truly amazing.
Upon viewing our films after Dave has worked his scoring magic, we find ourselves either dancing with joy or simply staring in silent, awestruck admiration.”
Travis A. Sterner
Screenwriter & Director
- “Dave Chick is one of those rare composers who really listens to his clients needs and desires and matches those criteria to the production needs, before he composes his music.
Dave comes up with the right composition to bring the production to life. His music is always on target. Combine that and being easy and fun to work with, and Dave becomes a great choice to supply your musical scores.”
Larry D. Gertz
Principal, L D Gertz & Associates
Museum & Themepark Design
“The first part of our project had very specific music and deadline needs — and Dave nailed it.
The second phase required Dave to be his own Music Director and again he gave us just the score we needed, on time, on budget and with plenty of communication along the way.
He’s great to work with.”
Co-Founder – Ally Distribution LLC
- “Working with Dave was a great pleasure, not only was he reliable and quick to meet deadlines, he was always super receptive to feedback and really dedicated to making sure his music was as accurate to my vision as possible.
There was never a lack of communication, we spoke many times about the script and Dave really strived to create something that would bring out the characters and set the mood and tone for each scene.”
- “I had the pleasure of working with Dave as part of the Seattle International Film Festival’s annual Fly Filmmaking Challenge.
Even with our tight timeline and budget, Dave created beautiful music that created the mood we were trying to achieve.
Dave is an energetic, creative collaborator who really delivers.”
- “Right from the start (Dave) breathed confidence in me. Working with him was an amazing experience. Not only I learned the aspects of his craft and his good spirit, but the diversity Dave can bring to his music. Tough deadlines don’t stress him, but inspire.
He was also kind in organizing an ADR session for my film in his own studio, which worked out perfectly well. Now I know whom I’d be happy to recommend if somebody needs a composer!
Screenwriter and Director
- “Aside from being just a great all-around guy and a super nice person, Dave is extremely professional and very talented. He listens to you and makes every effort to deliver your vision–as well as adding things that you never even knew you wanted.
He is flexible and able to work within evolving projects and deadlines. It is a pleasure to work with Dave.”
Producer – Experience Music Project
- “Dave Chick is a serious musical talent. Over the last five years I have had the pleasure of working professionally with Dave in several different ensembles, and he is a excellent keyboardist, as well as a pleasure to work with.
Whether he’s playing Brahms or Chopin on piano, or a tearing it up on a Hammond B-3 solo, Dave plays both with style and musicality.
His compositions are rich, and diverse. I have sincerely enjoyed our musical collaborations and look forward to our future endeavors.”
Bassist, Vocalist, Multi-instrumentalist
- “I had a wonderful time working with Dave: there are some things I am very exacting about – and others I left to his capable judgment. He delivered exactly what I needed – the musical characterization of the theme and characters in the film, each of which required a fresh, new sound.
Not one note in MORTAL WOUND is derived. It’s original. I told Dave that we needed a completely unique sound – nothing we’ve heard before. He came through with flying colors – and right on time!
I won’t post any of the emails we sent flying in cyberspace, but I will say that we shared a lot of laughs at the expense of Austin Powers – now musician of mystery! 😉 ”
Writer – Director
- “Dave recently completed the score for a short film I directed entitled “Heir Apparent”. We were working under a strict deadline which Dave was able to meet, allowing us to make our broadcast date.
Dave was a pleasure to deal with, he was attentive and understanding, and the revision process was a breeze. Dave seems to have a real knack for feeling out a scene and hitting just the right beats with his score. I certainly look forward to working with Dave again.”
- “Not only has Dave been a great guy to interact with but he turned in 1 of my favourite remixes ever! I look forward to working with him again in the future!”
Singer / Songwriter